By Rex Mphisa
SOUTH African authorities have arrested a Zimbabwean and recovered about seven suspected stolen vehicles during “intensified” operations targeting criminal syndicates operating along the Zimbabwean border, Ziyah News Network can reveal.
The man is yet to be identified and during the same period authorities reported that Zimbabwean cigarettes worth more than R800,000 were also recovered by Limpopo police .
The police, working with the South African National Defence Force (SANDF) and other law-enforcement partners say they have intensified operations against cross-border criminal activities.
Provincial police spokesperson Colonel Malesela Ledwaba said the recoveries were recorded during operations conducted between August 13 and 16, 2026.
“The operations targeted strategic routes, border areas and identified crossing points leading towards the Limpopo River and the Zimbabwean border,” he said.
“The operations focused on disrupting criminal syndicates involved in the movement of stolen vehicles and illicit goods across the border.”
Ledwaba said police officers were strategically deployed along the N1, Musina, Tshamutumbu, Makhado, Malaladrift, Sandquest and surrounding areas, supported by SANDF members and other stakeholders.
Among the confirmed recoveries was a grey Nissan Navara reported stolen in the Linden South African Police Service (SAPS) policing area.
“A 27-year-old Zimbabwean national was arrested after an extensive search in the Tshamutumbu policing area.”
He said the suspect was found hiding in bushes near the stolen vehicle, which had been fitted with false registration plates and a false licence disc.
Police also recovered a Toyota Land Cruiser valued at approximately R700,000, allegedly hijacked from a farm in the Tshamutumbu policing area.
“The vehicle was later recovered abandoned in the Limpopo River.”
Ledwaba said the recovered vehicles included a white Peugeot Landtrek valued at approximately R750,000, a Toyota Corolla Cross valued at approximately R500,000, a white Ford Territory valued at approximately R150,000 and a white Suzuki sedan valued at approximately R240,000.
“A further suspected stolen vehicle was recovered after SANDF members alerted police to its location in the Limpopo River area.”
Ledwaba said In addition to the vehicle recoveries, police confiscated illicit cigarettes valued at approximately R877,679.
“The seizure includes Royal Express and Remington Gold cigarettes, which were found concealed in vehicles suspected to have been used for smuggling.”
Ledwaba said further recoveries involving illicit cigarettes were made during the operations, including a Mercedes-Benz vehicle and another vehicle intercepted in the Mopani area.
Meanwhile, Limpopo provincial police commissioner Lieutenant General Jan Scheepers welcomed the recoveries and commended the members involved for their vigilance, swift response to intelligence and close cooperation with the SANDF and other stakeholders.
“We are intensifying the fight against cross-border crime and closing the routes that criminal syndicates believe they can exploit. The recovery of these vehicles and the seizure of illicit cigarettes demonstrate that our intelligence-driven deployments are yielding results.”
“We will continue pursuing these criminal networks and ensure that those who facilitate cross-border crime face the full might of the law,” Scheepers said.
Meanwhile there has been little progress on the Toyota GD6 car stolen from a Beitbridge resident and driven brazenly through a security road block at Makhado this week.
The car is suspected to have been driven to either Maranda or Mberengwa areas since it had not reached Gwanda where police had already been alerted.
“From what we learnt that vehicle did not reach Gwanda or even West Nicholson because police in those areas had been alerted if the development. Teams were deployed and we are on the ground,” the officer commanding Beitbridge Police District Chief Superintendent Mesuli Ncube.
He said teams with drones had also been dispatched in search if the car most people suspect would be driven to Mozambique.
Ziyah News Network has since established the car is an extended or kingcab and not a double cab as earlier reported.
