By Panashe Karidzagundi

A 23-year-old Beitbridge man, Proud Ndou, facing four serious criminal charges ranging from attempted murder, assault, theft and robbery on Wednesday this week, had his trial delayed due to some processes.

He had come before Magistrate Takudzwa Gwazemba at the Regional Court when the State said some witnesses were not ready.

Prosecutor Olivia Chamutinya told the court that, one of the key complainants namely Andile Dube, 26 is currently admitted at a hospital in Polokwane, South Africa, while other witnesses not as yet ready to testify.

Gwazemba remanded Ndou in custody to June 3, 2026 for commencement of trial.

The case has attracted public attention in Beitbridge, coming barely days after another convicted person from Guruve was sentenced to 89 years in jail after being found guilty of rape, attempted murder, and robbery, Anymore Zvitsva, 35, faced four rape charges, five attempted murder charges, and one robbery charge.

Zvitsva pleaded guilty to all 10 counts last week when he appeared before Harare regional magistrate, Mr Francis Mapfumo.

Ndou is facing four counts, nearly half the number that led to Zvitsva’s lengthy sentence.

Chamutinya said, the most serious allegation against Ndou stems from a violent incident which allegedly occurred on April 19, 2026 at Malala Business Centre in Beitbridge.

Chamutinya alleged that Ndou assaulted a 26-year-old ( Dube ) with an empty beer bottle before stabbing him three times on the head and once on the chin with a knife during a dispute over beer money.

The violent inciden was triggered by Dube’s refusal to buy Ndou beer, alleged Chamutinya.

She further alleged another suspect, identified as Alpha Dhlamini, who is still at large, joined the attack and allegedly assaulted Dube with a whip after tackling him to the ground.

Dube reportedly sustained severe injuries including cuts to the head and mouth and also lost a tooth.

Medical reports are expected to be produced in court as evidence.

In a second count, Ndou is accused of assaulting Hamfrey Dube, younger brother to Andile, after he allegedly attempted to rescue his brother during the attack.

Chamutinya alleged that Ndou struck Hamfrey once on the left cheek with a stone, while two accomplices allegedly kicked him feet after felling, from where the attempted murder charge arose.

Hamfrey reportedly sustained facial bruises and lost a tooth.

Ndou is also facing a theft charge dating back to December 2023.

Chamutinya alleged that he stole a 335-watt solar panel and a 24-volt water pump valued at R6 300 from his cousin brother, Cannias Ndou, in Mavhina village under Chief Tshitaudze.

The stolen property was later recovered from another homestead after investigations by Cannias.

In the fourth count, Ndou is accused of robbing 25-year-old Phineas Muleya of R2 600 in September 2024 at Gabara village, Beitbridge.

Chamutinya alleged that Ndou stabbed Muleya on the right arm with a knife before stealing the cash from his pocket as Muleya lay injured on the ground.

Nothing was recovered from the alleged robbery.

Chamutinya told the court that, Ndou acted unlawfully in all four incidents.

The matter continues on June 3, 2026.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *